Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sharks vs. Wolves

Let's put this simply. At one point I had believed I was doing quite well, but things change and now I find myself being eaten by sharks. They may be just baby sharks at the moment, nibbling on my toes as I try to keep my head above water. But now there is blood in the sea, and it won't take long for the progenitors of these little nibblers to come along and finish me off.

What would be worse; eaten by sharks or devoured by wolves. Neither holds any prominence in my mind over the other, but as I think about it and ponder the demise, I think sharks would be quicker. They have larger jaws and are able to bite off much more than a wolf, and the water element would help you bleed out faster. If you were fortunate and the shark opened a major artery you could be dead within seconds, on the other hand you might still be alive when the wolves begin eating you.

Perhaps you think me morbid, and in part I suppose I am. To me death is not a fear, but a certainty. The moment we are born we begin to die and yet so many fail to understand that death is a journey all living things must take. Instead men and women seek for mythical fountains of youth and other more scientific ways of prolonging their childish days. It once was that the old were revered as wise and learned. we looked to the aging process as a wonder and in many respects a joy. A young fool hardy youth desired the wisdom that only comes with age. But in our society we glorify youth and ignorance in all their forms, from the fictional eternally young vampire to the model who just turned fifteen and the movie star that looks like she is still in her twenties. The younger, thinner, and more ignorant you are the more like royalty you are treated. It's sad really, once over twenty five years of age you start to become "old" and outdated according to society. They fail to see the reality that over twenty five is the beginning of the most exciting, challenging, and awesome (in its literal term of awe inspiring ) time of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment